March 9, 2013

Photo Problems

I'm so sorry about the photo problems.  Pinterest is killing my free bandwidth allowance right now.  It went over the top in February with, believe it or not, the Minion Valentine's box.  My kids even had other children in their classes make Minion valentine's boxes from my post.  They thought it was pretty funny!

It should reset on the 4th of each month.  The only way they are currently giving me to permanently fix it is to pay a monthly fee.  I'm not too excited about that and my husband REALLY isn't.

So in the meantime, hang in there and check back soon as I try to find a way to fix this problem caused by my photos being pinned to Pinterest.

E-mail me if you have any questions or if you can give me another solution!  Please!

UPDATE: Bandwidth is used up again.  Please check back after the 4th of each month if this problem is current as you view.  I will continue to find a permanent solution without paying a monthly fee.  Thanks!

I have free files for the Spy Party, Mad Scientist Party and Angry Birds Party I can send if you e-mail me.

February 13, 2013

Perry and Lego Head Valentine's Boxes

More Valentine's boxes finished, so though we would share them.

My 6th grader's box is Perry the Platapus from the Disney show Phineas and Ferb, which we all happen to love!  We love it so much, in fact, that we named our kitten Peri the Catapus after Secret Agent P.
Supplies: Shoe box, blue paper (I bought a sheet of Canson paper at Hobby Lobby), orange cardstock, orange marker, toilet paper roll, black and white cardstock scraps, glue, and tape.
It's pretty self-explanatory, but we used 1 toilet paper roll cut in 4 pieces, rolled tighter and covered in blue paper for the legs.  Oval and circle paper punches were used for the eyes (but you could just cut some out), and based the bill and tail on a free printable we saw here on Family Fun's website. We outlined the orange with a darker orange marker.  Pretty simple after we saw a pattern for the bill, and we think he is totally "AAAHHH"  worthy!
The Lego Man Head idea was in no way an original idea.  We saw some on Pinterest and my Lego loving 4th grader was all for it.  Especially since we had to buy a 5 lb. container of Red Vines licorice!

After washing the container and peeling off the label the best we could, my husband spray painted it with Rustoleum Gloss Sun Yellow spray paint.  We let it dry overnight then my son punched out some eyes and drew a mouth on black cardstock and glued them on.  The quickest Valentine's box ever!  We were going to cut a slit in the lid, but decided it might leave sharp edges on the plastic.  So they can just open the lid to drop them in.

Hope this inspires you with your Valentine's Box headaches fun!

February 7, 2013

Magic Wand Making

I have SO many photos to go through and prepare for a Harry Potter party post!  But in the meantime I thought I would post a little how-to on the wands we made for the party.

Step 1:
For the wand bases we used 7/16" x 12 inch wood dowels that we purchased at Hobby Lobby.  My husband sanded one end to a blunt point with a power sander.  You could use sandpaper, but to get the nice taper that ours had would take quite a while by hand.

Step 2:
This was the fun part, and my husband and I both went a little crazy creating wands.  It was a bit of a fight over who got to do the last one!  Get a glue gun and LOTS and LOTS of glue sticks!  We used a ton of them, but they are fairly cheap in a big package.  We used aluminum foil to set them on between layers - if you use paper it will stick to it.  By adding tons of glue, tipping, spinning and tilting, you can add layers and layers of awesome designs.

To get the big drips, add lots of glue in a blob then tilt it one direction to let it run.  Let it dry completely before adding another layer.  For the wood grain, just squeeze the glue out slowly as you run the tip back and forth right against the wood.

You really just have to experiment with it to figure out how it works.  We were each working on about three wands at a time so they had time to harden and cool while we worked on another one.

****BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL WITH THE HOT GLUE!!!!!  THIS PART IS NOT FOR KIDS!!!
Even being very careful we burned ourselves multiple times.  You may want to keep some cold water nearby.

Step 3:
After everything was good and dry, I spray painted all of the wands completely with black spray paint.  I used the Rustoleum Universal spray paint made for all surfaces because it stuck really well to the glue.  Let them dry overnight, or at least 6 hours.

Step 4:
Use whatever craft paints you want to decorate your wands!  I used mostly earth-tone metallics.  I mixed many colors, and really just got creative with it.  This part was really fun, but a bit time consuming to make as many as we did.  You don't have to add a lot of paint though.  Just focus on the designs and the black base adds the shading automatically.
If you want you can add a clear coat after this, but we didn't.
Super fun to make, and the boys were so excited to have so many cool choices!  I have a few favorites, what about you?  Just as a side-note: I had about 5 wands left over that I put in a boutique for our Good Bird fundraiser.  They sold quickly for $10 each and one person bought them all! :)

Cookie Monster Valentine Box

The other night we needed to make an impromptu Valentine's box for my son.  Without any warning (or time) we had to use what we had on hand.  Due to the busy day I had, we happened to have a Sam's Club pizza box, and the plastic cover happened to remind us of Cookie Monster's mouth.  So that's what it became!
We just covered the box with blue paper, the inside of the box with black paper (so the Valentines will show inside his mouth) and added big circles for eyes.  There is an opening in the top to drop cards in.  The cookies are made from oval die cuts that my son drew chocolate chips on.  Super easy and cute!