May 26, 2009

Super-Sized Birthday Party

THEME:
It really gets harder for me to plan parties as my kids get older. Especially for my oldest son Logan. He's my only child that doesn't plan his next party theme a year ahead. My daughter had already picked a 'Tiny Party' for her theme and since their birthdays are 2 days apart, it was going to be held the day after Logan's party. So we thought, why not do the opposite and go SUPER-SIZED! What growing 13 year-old boy wouldn't jump at the chance to have jumbo-sized party foods. So the theme was set.

INVITATIONS:
Now, I know the invitations (below) don't look that exciting. But what made them fun was that they were each printed on a full 8 1/2"x 11" piece of cardstock and delivered in 9"x 12" envelopes. What was really fun was that my son and daughter delivered big and tiny birthday invitations at the same time to friends that are a brother and sister .

DECORATIONS:
We didn't really decorate, besides these huge balloons for Logan, and primary colors for the tablecloth and big napkins. But if you wanted to, just think BIG, JUMBO, anything super-sized. Logan thought the huge balloons were completely awesome, and I agree, but wow, try driving with those puppies in your car sometime! Luckily the party store where I got them is close to my house and we didn't have any kids in the car.

ACTIVITIES:
Logan mostly wanted to play video games with his friends, but as we were waiting for everyone to come we sent them to the back yard where they played jumbo kick-ball with a huge ball that Noah got for his baseball party that year. You can see my husband running to tag Logan in the photo below.

For additional game ideas, check out my favorite party sites. But really, all you need to do is think of a normal party game and then think of how you can play it big.

FOOD:
We bought pre-baked pizzas from Sam's Club for the dinner. I also had my husband get some big cups and straws there too. Then we had 2-liter bottles of soda that we filled them with. I made a salad too, but I don't think any of the boys ate any of it except my son.

CAKE:
I really wanted to make the cake with that cute new giant cupcake cake-pan from Wilton, but it wasn't available at the time in stores. I still think it's adorable, but can't bring myself to pay $30 for it. So instead I made cupcakes in my big muffin pans and sprinkled them with these jumbo Wilton sprinkles. (WARNING: The boys said these sprinkles nearly broke a few of their teeth out.)

There it is again. That reoccurring blue tray! I swear it's in nearly every party theme on here. I really must invest in more trays I suppose. I really tried to find some more just like it for this party so the boys could use them as plates to eat off of, but I couldn't.

FAVORS:
I found some big favor bags at the dollar store that we used and filled them with King-Sized Kit Kat candy bars, movie theater sized-candies in boxes, big Blow-Pop suckers, and big party blowers, also from the dollar store. My son and his friends really enjoyed getting huge candies as favors and since he only invited four boys it didn't cost that much.

Overall, the party was a BIG hit and the boys had HUGE amounts of fun. Okay, I'll stop now. But if you're looking for an easy party theme, SUPER-SIZE it!

1 comment:

renee' said...

Kristyn, believe it or not I actually check in on your blog every so often, so I'm glad to see that you are still sharing creative ideas. I'll have to change the address. :)